Vehicle Development Engineer
Township of Washington, MI
$73,000 - $93,000 a year (Indeed Est.)
30+ days ago
ZF is a global leader in driveline and chassis technology as well as active and passive safety technology. ZF has a global workforce of approximately 138,300 at 230 locations in 40 countries. Working at ZF is more than just a job; it’s an opportunity to imagine and create global mobility for tomorrow – and beyond. Are you up for the challenge?
The candidate should have 3 to 5 years of experience in automotive industry and experience with vehicle dynamics/tuning/testing/data acquisition/data analysis. Strong vehicle dynamics background with a focus on steering and suspension will be beneficial. Comfortable working with and quickly picking up software interface tools will be required. This position requires the candidate to be able to evaluate the steer feel and response of the vehicle as well as the theoretical vs. actual vehicle dynamics from the driver’s position in the vehicle. The candidate will be required to perform vehicle level testing, analysis and reporting as required for the development of the steering system. The candidate will need to develop strong working relationships with various internal and external customers.
- Understanding the relationship of Electric Power Steering (EPS) tuning control to steering feel characteristics and support tuning sessions to achieve customer desirable steering feel.
- Develop strong working relationships with customers to understand vehicle level subjective/objective requirements, and to communicate with customers through informal and formal presentations, meetings and vehicle demonstrations.
- Perform vehicle development validation processes on application and core projects to deliver optimal EPS systems. This requires interfacing, contributing and closely working with various teams.
- Working with local and global team members to successfully develop and launch application & core projects.
- Setup vehicles for testing, performing test drives, collecting data, analyzing data, and compiling into reports.
- Travel to various customers and Proving Grounds to support vehicle development activities. This includes local and international sites. (30-40%)
- Ensure departmental compliance with all TS16949 policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in an Engineering field (Mechanical, Electrical, Controls) or strong vehicle development work experience;
- 3+ years of experience preferred;
- A natural desire to work with vehicles and basic knowledge of vehicle dynamics required;
- Ability to communicate the results of evaluations, tuning exercises and testing information into engineering terms required;
- Able to interface with cross-functional teams and all levels of personnel and management
- Self-starter and motivated with a strong desire to produce high quality results;
- Experienced working with Vector CANape and CANalyzer;
- Valid US Driver’s License (Minimum of 5 years);
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Vehicle Development/Dynamics background
- Able to work with software and instrumentation such as: Vector CANape/CANalyzer, National Instruments, OXTS GPS;
- Proving Grounds Driver’s Training/Licensing;
- Strong mechanical experience/inclination and solid problem-solving/analytical skills with a high attention to detail.
- Willingness to learn, committed, motivated, and eager to produce best results;
- Ability to work in a team setting and individually;
- Ability to communicate well with internal and external customers;
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran